The Wickenburg Gem and Mineral Society (WGMS) is a non-profit Arizona organization offering a $3,000 Earth Sciences scholarship each calendar year to one qualified graduating high school senior from the vicinities of Bagdad, Circle City, Congress, Morristown, Salome, Wickenburg, and Wittmann. The scholarship is specifically intended to support one student planning to further one’s education in the academic area of Earth Sciences, which includes, but is not limited to, the lithosphere, hydrosphere, and atmosphere—basically rocks, water, air, and life processes.
The single $3,000 WGMS scholarship award will be paid to the appropriate higher learning institution to be applied to the enrolled student’s fees. In the absence of a qualified applicant, the scholarship may be awarded to a previous recipient. The scholarship will be awarded without regard to race, sex, religion, age, or national origin. The application deadline for the scholarship in the calendar year 2018 is May 1. The scholarship will be awarded later in May. The 2018 award will be null and void if the winner is not enrolled in an institution of higher education within one year of the award. Special circumstances will be reviewed and decided upon by WGMS membership.
WGMS SCHOLARSHIP ELIGIBILITY AND CRITERIA
- Applicant must currently be a graduating senior in good standing and a resident in the Bagdad, Circle City, Congress, Morristown, Salome, Wickenburg, or Wittmann areas.
- Applicant must have plans to attend college in the Fall or Winter of 2018, or Spring 2019.
- The student must have an expressed interest in, and a plan to, pursue study in the Earth Sciences.
To be considered for the WGMS 2018 Scholarship Award of $3,000, applicants must complete and return the application forms to WGMS by May 1, 2018. The application must include:
- Completed application form.
- Two completed recommendation forms, with one being completed by a teacher or school official from the applicant’s present school. A family member may NOT fill out recommendation forms. Applicants please note: fill in the top portions of the WGMS recommendation form before you forward the form to your reference providers.
- A one page (350 to 500 words total) typed statement summarizing the applicant’s qualifications, interests, and goals in the Earth Sciences.
All forms, letters, and related materials must be submitted to WGMS by hand or postmarked by May 1, 2018 to be considered. WGMS is not responsible for applications late or lost in the mail. Applications are available at local schools, some libraries, and the Wickenburg Chamber of Commerce. Mail completed applications to: Wickenburg Gem and Mineral Society, ATTN: Scholarship Committee, PO Box 20375, Wickenburg, AZ 85358.
For additional information, please contact us through this site’s CONTACT tab.
For Forms: Please click the WGMS SCHOLARSHIP 2018 FORMS pdf link at the top of this notice.